- FEATURED BRANDS
- NAPA SilentGUARD Brake Pads
- NAPA Premium Brake Pads
- NAPA Ultra Premium Brake Pads
- NAPA Ultra Premium Brake Rotors and Drums
- NAPA QE Brake Brake Pads
- NAPA ProFormer Brake Pads
- Adaptive One Passenger Brake Pads
- Adaptive One R90 Euro Brake Pads
- Adaptive One Trucks and SUV Brake Pads
- Adaptive One Performance Brake Pads
- NAPA Fleet Brake Parts
- NAPA Brake Calipers
Steering and Suspension
Motor Oils and Fluids
Car Wash and Detailing
Starters and Alternators
Tools and Equipment
Wipers and Visibility
WIPER BLADES REPLACEMENT
Duration: 5-10 minutes
How often: Every year
Why should you replace your wiper blades?
To make sure your windshield wipers always provide maximum vision, without dangerous streaking and without annoying noise, your wiper blades should be replaced every six months. Unused wiper blades are still subject to the same environmental wear and tear, and will often become more rigid and have decrease life as the flexibility of the rubber dramatically decreases.
NAPA has a wide variety of wiper blades to fit all budgets and weather conditions. Check with your local NAPA Auto Parts store at least every 6 months for the blade that's best for you.
This section will help you replace your wiper blades quickly and correctly. Although replacing wiper blades isn't usually difficult, be sure to READ all instructions provided.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
TO CHANGE YOUR WIPER BLADES YOU WILL NEED:
- New NAPA wiper blades with the correct length and attachment type.
- Cloth for windshield protection.
- Small screwdriver (usually not be needed, but some blades may require it).
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Proper maintenance and service procedures are vital to the safe, efficient operation of all motor vehicles, as well as to the safety of the person performing the work—you.
Whenever you are working on your vehicle, we recommend that you follow these important safety rules:
- Do have a first-aid kit handy.
- Do be careful when working around hot or sharp objects.
- Do follow the manufacturer's instructions for all products.
- Do use safety stands under the frame or drive-on ramps if you must raise your vehicle.
- Don't run the engine without proper ventilation.
- Don't smoke when working around the engine.
READ these instructions completely before you begin:
- Some wiper system designs allow you to lift the wiper arms off the windshield, and extend them toward the front of the vehicle. The arms will stay in this position, which allows for the easiest blade replacement possible. If you can't raise your wiper arms in this manner, position the blades vertically on the windshield. This can be done by turning the wipers on, then shutting off the ignition key when the blades are in a vertical position.
- Place a soft cloth between the glass and the blades to protect the glass from scratches and so you may work on them comfortably.
- Most wiper blades are designed to be replaced without the need for tools. Release tabs are provided that will allow removal of the blade assembly from the arm. You may have to use your small screwdriver to aid in the release of the retaining mechanism. On older vehicles, depending on the type of blades, you may need to loosen or remove a tab or screw.
- Place the old blades aside.
- Make sure you follow the instructions located on the back of the package, or look for an instruction sheet inside with the new blades.
- After your blades have been replaced, lower the wipers back to the glass and remove the cloth.
- Operate the wipers to be sure they are attached properly.
- Follow these instructions carefully. Read and be sure you understand them before you begin.
- Gather all your tools and supplies before you begin.
- Allow plenty of time to do the job so you don't have to hurry.
- Remember that these are general instructions. For more detailed instructions pertaining to your specific vehicle, consult an appropriate repair manual.
- Safety is important whenever you're working around machinery. Beware of hot objects, sharp instruments and hazardous materials.
- Don't substitute tools unless you're sure you won't compromise either your safety or the performance of your vehicle.
- If you have any questions about repair and maintenance, contact your local NAPA Auto Parts store. Find the nearest NAPA Auto Parts location.