Changing a tire on a vehicle is not as difficult as it may look. Make sure you always have the necessary tools in your trunk or other accessible place in your car for those unexpected tire emergencies.
tools and equipment
To change your tires you will need:
- Lug wrench
before you begin
- Check with your local NAPA Auto Parts store to make sure you have all the correct tools to change a tire.
- Make sure the car is in park (If your car has a manual transmission, please consult your owner's manual). If the flat happened while driving, pull off the road towards your right as far as you can.
- Gather together all the necessary tools.
- Be sure your vehicles ignition is OFF.
READ these instructions completely before you begin:
- Remove the wheel cover that is on the outside of the tire using your screwdriver, or the end of lug nut wrench.
- With the lug nut wrench, loosen the lug nuts with a single turn counter-clockwise. Do not remove the lug nuts.
- Position the jack correctly for tire removal. You will have to consult your owner's manual for correct placement of the jack. The jack should sit on a flat and level surface.
- Slowly lift the car with your jack. The tire should be two or three inches above the ground before you stop. NEVER position yourself under the car when it has been lifted up on a jack.
- With the lug nut wrench, remove the loose lug nuts and set aside. Now you may remove the flat tire and set aside.
- Place the new tire or spare tire on the car. Replace the lug nuts. Tighten them with your hands just enough so that the wheel is securely placed.
- Lower the car from the jack just to where the tread of the tire meets the ground. Now you can tighten the lug nuts more evenly. Make sure that the lug nuts are very secure and then lower the car the rest of the way.
- Follow these instructions carefully. Read and be sure you understand them before you begin.
- Gather all your tools and supplies before you begin.
- Allow plenty of time to do the job so you don't have to hurry.
- Remember that these are general instructions. For more detailed instructions pertaining to your specific vehicle, consult an appropriate repair manual.
- Safety is important whenever you're working around machinery. Beware of hot objects, sharp instruments and hazardous materials.
- Don't substitute tools unless you're sure you won't compromise either your safety or the performance of your vehicle.
- If you have any questions about repair and maintenance, contact your local NAPA Auto Parts store. Find the nearest NAPA Auto Parts location.